Serenity Valle-author, supporting fellow authors, game creators and more...one blog post at a time!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Interview: Author Amber Skye Forbes

Image
Q: So, tell the readers a bit about you.
A: I am currently attending Augusta State University for a degree in Middle Education with a concentration in English–though I am probably going to change this and either go into creative writing or literature. I want to be a private tutor, freelance editor, and writer when I graduate, so being a teacher is no longer a palatable option for me. I also enjoy ballet, reading, and video games, and I work a part-time job as a marketing trainee for Southern Siding, which is really just a fancy term.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for your book, When Stars Die? How did you come up with the name of it?
A: When Stars Die doesn’t have one point of inspiration. I simply came up with a ‘what-if’ scenario. I knew I wanted to write about witches and convents. The ‘what-if’ part comes in when I began to ask myself what made certain people witches and others not, and what happened to witches when they died. Did they go to heaven, hell, or just disappear for good? I was obsessed with witches as a child, and I enjoyed learning about the Salem Witch Trials because the whole hysteria interested me, so that naturally transferred to my book.
As for the title, there is a part in my book where Amelia is ruminating about what happens to stars when they die. She likes to believe they leave a lasting impact, and that is what she ultimately wants to do. She wants to die leaving something behind, and she wants to make a difference.

Q: What is your favourite colour? (This must be read in a British accent a-la Monty Python)
A: My favorite color is blue, although I am having difficulties saying it in a comical British accent.

Q: Do you have any special rituals or quirks when writing? Special foods or drinks? Troll doll on the desk/Etc.
A: I don’t have any special rituals at all. I know, that makes me seem a bit boring, but I don’t need any rituals. I simply need motivation, and I’m good to go.
Image
Q: What was the easiest part about writing When Stars Die?
A: The easiest part about writing is the actual writing.

Q: What was the hardest part?
A: The hardest part is the revising and trying to let people know that my darn book exists.

Q: Do you like bacon?
A: Of course! Who doesn’t like bacon?

Q: How long have you been writing, or wanting to write and when did you actually write your first story?
A: I have been writing seriously for 9 years, but I have known that I wanted to be an author since I was eight years old. I wrote my first story at eight–novella, actually–and it was a cross between Spyro and The Magic Treehouse, so it was essentially fanfiction. I wrote my first novel at ten, and so it was the first original piece of writing that I did.

Q: Do you have a favourite character from your book/books? If so, who and why?
A I really like Amelia, and not just because she’s the main character. I like her because she is determined and fiercely loyal. She is also very introspective, so she really thinks about her actions and what consequences will occur as a result of whatever she does.

Q: Are you working on anything else right now? If so, can you tell us anything about it?
A: I am working on the sequel to When Stars Die, called Stars Will Rise, and I am really taking into consideration some of the criticism I have received for WSD to revise SWR. I REALLY want the second book to be much better than the first, so I am taking into consideration what I think my readers will want to happen. I also have a contemporary fantasy currently baking in the oven, so I don’t know when I’ll get back to that. I have also been outlining a contemporary literary YA book that I’m probably going to seek a literary agent for, while still publishing with AEC Stellar. Both the contemporary literary and contemporary fantasy deal with mental illness.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers of this interview?
A: When Stars Die is available for pre-order on Amazon! It officially comes out on the 22nd of October.
Find Amber’s blog here:
http://amberskyeforbes.wordpress.com
Amber on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/AmberSkyeForbes

...You Can't Take the Books from Me...
~Serenity Valle~Author
Acquittal. The Revenant Series: Book One
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: A collection of short stories...
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: Epilogue
Facebook   Google +   Twitter   Instagram   Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment