Serenity Valle-author, supporting fellow authors, game creators and more...one blog post at a time!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Interview: Author Ryan Attard

fejfbegaQ: So, tell the readers a bit about you.
A. People of this planet know me as Ryan Attard. I hail from Malta, a tiny island in the middle of an ocean far, far away and I come to you with stories from deepest recesses of my mind.
I am the author of Firstborn, Big Wolf on Campus and Dread Night (a novel and 2 short stories) – all belonging to the Legacy Series. Big Wolf was featured in 2013: A Stellar Collection, Dread Night is a ‘Halloween Special’ and Firstborn is due to hit the shelves (and your e-reader devices) on December 13th. All published by AEC Stellar Publishing Inc.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for the Legacy Series? How did you come up with the name of it?
A. I was introduced to writing when I joined a group or friends who shared a similar interest in all things geeky. I wrote some fanfics, some short stories and some poetry – all excruciatingly painful to read. After a while I decided that I was too insane to be part of the real world so I became a writer, where I could manipulate and create things to suit my fancy.
The Legacy Series shares a lot with the Dresden Files and the Devil May Cry franchise, both of which I used as influence as well as music from the artist Celldweller. I recently read a beta review of Firstborn which described the novel as Sabrina the Teenage Witch on steroids, and that it’s a good idea. I like that. The Series contains all that inspires me, from cheesy one-liners, sarcastic talking cats, things blowing up, thinly veiled phallic humor and epic sword fights.
I stole Firstborn from one of Celldweller’s songs which was the first one I heard and it inspired the entire series with its dark tones and action beats. I love the mystery and the dark melody as well as the underlying message. Also I first heard it in a music video on youtube with a Devil May Cry 4 play-through and now I associate the two.
Legacy has maybe 10 different meanings to the characters in the series. The story revolves heavily on the characters bearing the weight of their ancestors’ sins as well as the legacy left to the earth in times long gone. I love double meanings and every title I come up with has at least 3 or 4 different meanings to the story.

Q: What is your favourite colour? (This must be read in a British accent a-la Monty Python)
A. Read this as Jeremy Irons:
My favorite color is the kaleidoscope – the myriad of colors ever shifting. From the red of the passionate hero, to the intellectual blue, the serene yellow, the earthly green, the enigmatic purple, the pure white and the Dark Side black.

Q: Do you have any special rituals or quirks when writing? Special foods or drinks? Troll doll on the desk/Etc.
A. I offer 13 kittens to Bephomet as I chant a ritual from the Malleus Maleficarum. Just kidding.
It’s 13 babies.
OK seriously now – I don’t have any particular rituals. It takes a while from me to get into the zone but when I go it, I go in deep (no pun intended – maybe a little bit). I tend to write with pen and paper first unless I’m really inspired in which case I just type. I’ve done both and honestly it’s just a whim. Depending on the mood sometimes I have a music track looping, but often the silence is the gateway to the voices in my head – which make for great stories and awkward stares.

Q: What was the easiest part about writing the Legacy Series?
A. Honestly, I never found any hard parts. I mean, sure, you get stuck on some chapters, but so long as you keep trying, it’s no problem.
I suppose this series is so close to my heart, so intimate to me, that it comes as natural as breathing. Often I would act out the scenes and try different one-liners, much to the annoyance of my friends. Often I would smile as I write an action scene and raise my fist in the air as I write it down and read it as if for the first time.
I don’t mean to sound condescending or superior in any way. I always have fun doing it, even if I’m working 12 hours a day. Even if I’m working weekends or holidays. I’m completely addicted to it.

Q: What was the hardest part?
A. Recently I discovered that the writing of a novel is the easy part. The hard part is marketing it – that is so not my cup of tea. But in retrospect, even that is not such a bad thing. I get to discuss writing and my work which makes me so happy. I get to look at my inspirations and reaffirm them.
I mean, what an awesome ‘problem’ to have when compared the some of the really crappy jobs out there.

Q: Do you like bacon?
A. Bacon is nice when used properly. Myself, I shape it into the shape of a swan. I find the swan bacon is very nice with sauces and other foods, rather than in strips. Unless it’s an English breakfast and I decide that my arteries need some punishment. Then those pigs better watch out.

Q: How long have you been writing, or wanting to write and when did you actually write your first story?
A. I never liked the idea of being a writer until I found myself in a situation where due to peer pressure I began writing myself. Then I loved it. It gave a high better than any drug. This was at the age of 16 or 17.
I began writing professionally (or as professional as I can be) at the age of 19. I signed my first contract with AEC Stellar on May 6th 2013 at the age of 22.

Q: Do you have a favourite character from your book/books? If so, who and why?
A. There are 2 main characters in the novels (these ones out so far).
Erik Ashendale is the everyman. He often goes on in rants and stream of consciousness. I write in first person and often those rants are my rants. I love rants. I tend to seep my opinions into his but there are times where he has to say certain things for the sake of the story. I’m not writing a biography here. But we are both grouchy, sarcastic and honest to a fault. Emphasis on fault.
The second character is everyone’s favorite – the demonic talking cat Amaymon. This guy in that inner voice that tells you it’s OK to jump off a high building because you can fly. He’s the whisper that justifies you eating all the cake in the house and leaving none for your family. He’s the voice that says it’s OK to take all the furniture that your mom covers in plastic and set on fire in the middle of the road and dance around the burning effigy in a symbolic revolution of your right to plant your ass wherever you want.
See what I mean about rants?

Q: Are you working on anything else right now? If so, can you tell us anything about it?
A. Well, Book 2 of the Legacy Series is just about ready to be handed in to the pros.
I’m also working on a separate Sci-Fi series of which I’m still writing the first book.
I have the first few chapters of a serialized fiction series I want to get out there.
And a couple other projects which are mostly in my head but will one day be on paper.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers of this interview? (This is a great place to put your links!)
A. If you have read Big Wolf on Campus and Dread Night, I thank you. If you have left a review, and I know some of you have, I double thank you.
firstborn front image
I would also like to thank the reviewers and betas of Firstborn. Great feedback you guys.
Also, try not to take me so seriously. I tend to joke a lot and other walk on blurred lines.
Check out these links:
http://ryanattard.com/
https://www.facebook.com/RyanAuthor
and
http://www.amazon.com/Ryan-Attard/e/B009UW82V8
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do the interview and thank you for reading it.
Peace and love,
Ryan

...You Can't Take the Books from Me...
~Serenity Valle~Author
Acquittal. The Revenant Series: Book One
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: A collection of short stories...
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: Epilogue
Facebook   Google +   Twitter   Instagram   Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment