Serenity Valle-author, supporting fellow authors, game creators and more...one blog post at a time!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Interview: Author Sorin Suciu

Sorin
Q: So, tell the readers a bit about you.
A: Oh, my… I think I can do “a bit,” if only because “a bit” is the most there is about me. Let’s see, I’m thirty-two, people tell me I have a wizard name, and ten years ago I spoke just enough English to hum (but not understand) Queen songs without making a total fool of myself.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for your book, The Scriptlings? How did you come up with the name of it?
A: There were many things that led to it, including a quote from Richard Dawkins, my passion for computer games, and a series of recurring goat jokes that I shared with my cousin for well over fifteen years.
As for the name, the word “scriptling” is completely made up, and it refers to a magician apprentice. It is formed from the root “script” (as in computer script) and the suffix “–ling”, used here to suggest a sense of belonging.

Q: What is your favourite colour? (This must be read in a British accent a-la Monty Python)
A: #65A1F0. You can Google it :)

Q: Do you have any special rituals or quirks when writing? Special foods or drinks? Troll doll on the desk/Etc.
A: Well, to be honest, there’s nothing spectacular about it. I keep a clean desk, and a cup of tea at hand when I write. Sometimes I indulge in a little bit of music, provided it is the wordless kind (classical, Vangelis, Jean Michelle Jarre, Michael Oldfield…).
I used to have a small clay statuette of a golem, bought from Prague, but I don’t know what happened to it after I fed him an electric shaver instructions manual.

Q: What was the easiest part about writing The Scriptlings?
A: Writing dialogue. And that’s exactly why you will find plenty of it. I actually think I went so far with allowing characters to define themselves through dialogue, that you’ll find it pretty hard to discover any other kind of character development device in the book.

Q: What was the hardest part?
A: Coming to an end. In fact, I think I may have forced the end to come a little sooner than it should have, but the book would have been 20K words longer if not for that.

Q: Do you like bacon?
A: Bacon is the reason I’m no longer a 100% vegetarian. I think we should make bacon an honorary vegetable.

Q: How long have you been writing, or wanting to write and when did you actually write your first story?
A: I’ve been pretending to write “professionally” for a while now. My first novel-sized story, Cambridge Troll was the perfect playground for all the DON’Ts of writing; and while I think I might recycle some of the ideas and characters, I don’t think it will ever get published. Unless I become so famous that even a “bootleg” edition will sell millions of copies.

Q: Do you have a favourite character from your book/books? If so, who and why?
A: It’s a very close call between Merkin and Stapley. Both of them are extremely fun to write and they have very strong voices. But if I had to choose, then I’ll probably go with Stapley, who is a magical personal assistant, bearing a completely accidental resemblance to Microsoft’s Office Assistant – Clippy, while acting a lot like P.G. Woodehouse’s Jeeves. He is loyal, obsequious to the point of being annoying, full of hidden talents and, all in all, the best friend you could ask for.

Q: Are you working on anything else right now? If so, can you tell us anything about it?
A: I started blogging, which is an interesting experience to say the least. Other than that, I’m gathering material for a sequel to The Scriptlings, called The Masters, and for a standalone novel, tentatively titled Son of Neither.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers of this interview?
A: Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to pay a visit to www.sorinsuciu.com and, if you feel in a particularly generous mood, even subscribe. I’ll try to make it worthwhile. Really.
The Scriptlings - Front Cover - Small It sounds really interesting! Pick up your copy-it came out Sept 22 so it is available NOW!

...You Can't Take the Books from Me...
~Serenity Valle~Author
Acquittal. The Revenant Series: Book One
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: A collection of short stories...
The Fantastical Life of Serenity: Epilogue
Facebook   Google +   Twitter   Instagram   Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment